found your soulmate.
get 10% off for life when you pop in your email below
It’s the time of year when everyone starts talking about open fires and chestnuts, your friends are buying matching onesies and signing you up for Secret Santas, and you’re spending your days half hoping for snow, half dreaming of summer heat waves. It’s cosy but it’s also overwhelming, and sometimes you just need to take a bloody time out and treat yourself to some me-time.
Introducing the best thing you never knew you needed: CBD hot chocolate. It doesn’t get more winter-wonderland than this. Curl up in front of your fave movie in your pjs or run yourself a steaming bubble bath, because we’re taking the heart-warming joy of hot chocolate and turning it into your ultimate de-stressing, treat-yo-self beverage with our yours, hormonally CBD supplement. Even better? It’s vegan – because self-care and planet-care aren’t mutually exclusive.
Obligatory disclaimer: I’m not a chef. I’m also not your tastebuds, so if you don’t love this, have a word with them please. I’m just a chocolate-loving writer who happens to be both a vegan and borderline-obsessed with CBD. Do with this info what you will.
For one CBD and Me Hot Chocolate you will need…
Marshmallows I haven’t tried this yet, but the second I find vegan marshmallows near me, I will go to town on the marshmallow hot chocolate toppings.
Whipped cream – I feel obligated to add this one as I know lots of people love it, but I can’t stand the stuff so, no comment.
Cinnamon and/or Nutmeg or whatever spice takes your fancy, tbh. You can sprinkle them on top or add them in when you add the cocoa powder.
Brewing the Elixir
1. Melt the cacao butter or coconut oil with your CBD over a low heat. It helps to mix in the CBD with the butter or oil right at the beginning so that it will mix through the whole drink. If you add it at the end it won’t mix through properly and you might not feel the benefits of it.
2. Mix in your squares of chocolate until melted
3. Add in cocoa powder, stir to a well-mixed paste, then add the milk. Alternatively, you can take the CBD and chocolate paste off the heat before you add the cocoa powder and milk and mix all the ingredients together in a blender. I think this creates unnecessary washing up but it does give make sure the ingredients are perfectly mixed together and help you get a smoother, thicker texture.
4. Heat the whole lot up, bringing it to a simmer. Boiling it runs the risk of that milky-skin on the top which really gives me the heebie-jeebies.
5. Pour in a mug and add sugar to taste plus any of your optional extras. A sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg will make it extra bloody Christmassy, but vegan whipped cream and marshmallows will give you all the nostalgia vibes as you will feel like a literal child.
If you make this go ahead and tag us @im_ohne on instagram and twitter! #CBDandMe